NYC Lung Cancer Screening & Diagnosis
For many years, lung cancer has been a leading cause of cancer deaths due, in part, to the fact that the disease typically shows no symptoms until it has progressed to advanced stages, at which point it may be untreatable. A simple cough may be the first manifestation of lung cancer, but new breakthroughs in lung cancer screening have made it possible to detect the disease at an earlier stage to improve treatment success.
With over 30 years of pulmonology experience, Dr. Marc Bowen is at the forefront of lung cancer screening measures for the early detection of lung cancer. After a thorough evaluation and medical history, he will be able to recommend whether you should go in for a lung cancer screening. Dr. Bowen will also be there to provide compassionate care and answers to all of your concerns and questions should you receive abnormal results.
Our NYC pulmonology center is dedicated to providing personalized quality care and strives to return you to your healthy, active life. If you believe that you may require lung cancer screening, schedule an appointment with Dr. Bowen on Zocdoc or call 212-480-4062 for an evaluation. Appointments will be confirmed by office staff.
Who should undergo lung cancer screening?
Dr. Bowen will advise patients who are at a high risk for developing lung cancer to undergo regular screening. Factors that place you at risk include:
- 55 to 80 years of age
- Current smokers
- Former smokers who quit within the past 15 years
- Patients with a history of heavy smoking (defined as smoking an average of one pack of cigarettes per day for 30 years or more, 2 packs per day for 15 years, etc.)
What are the benefits of lung cancer screening?
- Performed with low-dose CT scanning (minimal radiation exposure)
- Annual screening can find 85 percent of lung cancers in their earliest, most treatable stages by detecting tiny spots called “nodules” on the lungs
- Scans can also detect old or new pneumonia, tuberculosis, cardiac disease and emphysema
- Minimizes unnecessary additional testing and invasive procedures
If you are interested in undergoing lung cancer screening or if you want to find out more about early detection measures, contact our NYC office to make an appointment with Dr. Marc Bowen.