NYC Preoperative Evaluation
(Pulmonary Medical Clearance for Surgery)
Prior to undergoing certain types of surgery, it may be necessary to undergo a preoperative pulmonary evaluation by a lung doctor. A thorough evaluation is an important step to identifying and optimizing conditions that increase successful surgical outcomes. It is especially critical for patients who may have complicated medical histories with lung disease and breathing problems to receive medical clearance for surgery.
In some cases, the results of the evaluation may lead to implementing additional preoperative measures to prepare higher risk patients for surgery. Sometimes, doctors need to reduce anesthesia and other related ventilation and gas exchange derangements, which are a leading cause of mortality in this group of patients.
Dr. Marc Bowen is an NYC pulmonologist with over 30 years of experience in pulmonary diseases and can perform a thorough pulmonary evaluation to prepare you for surgery. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Bowen on Zocdoc or call 212-480-4062 if you require a preoperative evaluation/pulmonary clearance for surgery. Appointments will be confirmed by office staff.
What types of surgery necessitate a preoperative medical evaluation?
Dr. Marc Bowen evaluates patients prior to numerous types of surgery, including:
- Bariatric surgery
- Thoracic surgery
- Cardiac surgery
- Major intra-abdominal surgery
- Vascular surgery
He also evaluates patients prior to many other types of surgery. Even minor surgical procedures can impact lung function and require a pulmonary medical clearance.
What are the goals of a pre-surgical pulmonary evaluation?
Pulmonary clearance for surgery may help with the following:
- Making recommendations designed to minimize perioperative risk
- Preparing high-risk patients for surgery
- Guiding anesthetic choices
- Minimizing postponed or canceled surgeries
- Decreasing the length of hospital stay after surgery
- Improving surgery outcomes
- Guiding postoperative management
What does pulmonary clearance for surgery involve?
A pre-surgical pulmonary evaluation typically includes the following:
- Medical history
- Physical examination
- Testing a patient’s functional capacity, including pulmonary function testing
- Assessing a patient for risk factors that may lead to cardiac, pulmonary or infectious complications
If you are looking for a pulmonologist for medical clearance for surgery in NYC, contact our office to make an appointment with Dr. Marc Bowen.